Seize the opportunity to make a difference
Why work with us?
Our teams are made of passionate, accomplished and creative people. Our culture is collective. We motivate each other. We trust each other.
We have fun. As a team member of priMED you are encouraged to challenge the status quo. If you are tenacious, resourceful and thrive in a fast-paced and supportive environment, you will fit right in.
Health Spending Account
Group RRSP Plan
Group Health Insurance
Employee Assistance Plan
Employee Wellness Plan
YEG's Coolest Office
Senior Manager, Information Systems
Position Title: Senior Manager, Information Systems
Position Type: Permanent, full-time
Division: Operational Excellence
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Start Date: May 2020
As part of the Operational Excellence division, the Information Systems department is responsible for priMED’s global IT infrastructure, and the maintenance and development of various Information Systems (IS) that are critical to priMED’s operation. This includes defining, developing and implementing IT policies, procedures and best practices that provide cost effective and secure IT systems and operations. By collaborating with various departments, the IS Department will ensure that the priMED team has secure access to reliable information and technology solutions to support day to day processes and decision making.
The Senior Manager, Information Systems (SMIS) is responsible for the management and function of the department and continuously monitor and improve upon the various IS and IT currently in place. The SMIS will work closely with management and departments to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost effective technology solutions to enable business objectives. The SMIS will be able to manage priMED’s platforms while looking for ways to grow the systems in a cost-effective and relevant way to meet future needs.
By reviewing and monitoring the IT infrastructure plan, creating an annual budget, and managing the IT contractor, the SMIS will ensure that priMED’s team has continuous access to reliable computing and communication devices while ensuring ease of use and adequate security. Development and implementation of a vision for priMED’s IT systems will allow for a more collaborative work environment and greater success.
The continuous review and management of the internal systems development and support to meet priMED business requirements is a must. This is completed by ensuring systems are in place to ensure the reliability and operability of the databases and integrity of the data and reports being produced.
The SMIS is a key member of priMED’s success and requires exceptional communication skills, team leadership, interpersonal skills and professionalism in order to perform day to day job tasks.
The SMIS reports directly to the VP, Operational Excellence and has close internal working relationships with the senior executive team members and all other priMED departments. Leading a team of two individuals, the SMIS will collaborate, provide guidance, and coach the team members to help them succeed.
Outside of the organization, the SMIS is accountable to manage and support the IT service provider, internal and external customer relations, and other priMED offices. The main objectives are to gather insight, explain and exchange information, problem solving and development of action plans. By working closely with management and functional departments, the SMIS will identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost-effective and relevant technology solutions to enable business processes and outcomes.
The following is a list of the high level activities/deliverables:
- Work closely with department managers and team leads to define critical information needs, providing guidance regarding availability of data, capability of systems to deliver information needs, and subject matter expertise regarding current systems and emerging technology
- Support and develop the priMED databases including Microsoft Access and SQL. Review and assess these systems for flexibility, scalability and sustainability and provide recommendations for improvement
- Research potential tools and solutions to meet the operational and reporting needs of the company
- Maintain effective communication with all team members to assure that information systems and technologies for current and future business requirements are provided, improved, and replaced as required
- Demonstrate initiative in constantly reassessing business requirements and make suggestions that proactively address changing business needs
- Ensure business requirements, work performed, and risks are captured, assessed, analyzed, documented and approved prior to implementation
- Oversee provision of end-user services including defining criteria, procedures, quality objectives and metrics for assessing milestones/progress
- Work with managed service providers to ensure minimal downtime and lower repair costs
- Monitor changing IT technologies and deliver an annual update to the executive team
- Responsible for creating and administering disaster recovery plans that will keep the company functional in the event of a crisis
- Determine and develop the rationale and methods for upgrading corporate software and systems as needed including cost benefit analysis and ROI
- Define and implement IT policies, procedures, and best practices that provide cost effective and secure IT systems and operations
- Participate in the research, evaluation, recommendation and selection of new technologies
- Manage financials for the IS department including budgeting, expense management and reforecasts
- Develop business case justifications and cost/benefit analyses for IT spending and initiatives
- Participate in the negotiation and administration of vendor, outsourcer, and consultant contracts and service agreements
- Manage the deployment, monitoring, maintenance, development, upgrade, and support of all IT systems with a combination of internal and managed service staff
- Develop and implement IT Strategic Roadmap and Business Plan in alignment with the corporate strategic plan
- Support, communicate, reinforce and uphold the mission, values and culture of the organization
- Special projects and other tasks and duties as assigned.
Attention is shifted from one job task to another frequently during the day. Therefore, time and priority management abilities in addition to excellent project management and communication skills are essential for this position. Accuracy, attention to detail and the ability to multi-task are also necessary.
Examples of mental effort include:
- Processing, reviewing and revising Information Systems
- Interruptions come from requests for assistance or new tasks as directed
- Multi-tasking abilities and time management skills are required for this position
- Concentration, computer skills, assembly skills, reading comprehension, personnel skills, etc.
- Communicating with third party suppliers, priMED team members and other external parties
- Providing technical and analytical guidance and work direction to team members
Examples of physical effort include:
- Working in an office setting as well as being available off regular working hours to deal with IT service issues.
- Lifting boxes up to 50 lbs, as required.
Valid travel documents and the ability to travel to various jurisdictions legally are required.
The ability to use computers and equipment effectively and accurately in a timely manner is required.
- University or College degree with specialization in Management Information Systems an asset
- Minimum five years demonstrated industry experience managing IS and IT systems.
- Minimum five years’ experience managing multiple, complex projects and leading project team members
- Strong understanding of project management methodologies, principles and practices
- Knowledge of voice and AV conferencing equipment
- Advanced proficiency and experience in Microsoft Access and SQL Databases
- Working knowledge and experience with Accounting Software and Crystal Reports
- Strong business and analytical skills including coding, configuring, testing, debugging, developing and maintaining application systems
- Advanced knowledge and experience with relational databases, web and client-server concepts
- Excellent cost management and business case writing
- Excellent organizational, multi-tasking skills and attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
Hours of Work
The Senior Manager, Information Systems works on a full-time basis. Typical office hours are from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday but due to the nature of the business, work outside these hours may be required as needed. Some travel may be required.
How to Apply
This position is available immediately. Interested applicants may submit their cover letter and resume in a single document via the application form on www.priMED.ca/Careers.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, responses to applicants may be delayed. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Note: This job posting is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Hide Job Details
(Fields marked * required)