Seize the opportunity to make a difference
Why work with us?
Our teams are made of passionate, accomplished and creative people. Our culture is collective. We motivate each other. We trust each other.
We have fun. As a team member of priMED you are encouraged to challenge the status quo. If you are tenacious, resourceful and thrive in a fast-paced and supportive environment, you will fit right in.
Health Spending Account
Group RRSP Plan
Group Health Insurance
Employee Assistance Plan
Employee Wellness Plan
YEG's Coolest Office
Position Type: Management, Full-time, Permanent
Department: Finance and Administration
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Start Date: May 2018 *See note under How to Apply*
The Finance and Administration department is responsible for providing accounting and financial support to the various departments for priMED’s global business. This includes recording accounts payables and receivables, payroll, fixed assets, generating financial statements and ensuring the overall success of the business.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the successful candidate is a detail oriented, focused, self-starter who takes charge, is collaborative with others and provides valuable input to projects. The Controller is part of a senior level, decision-making team and is responsible for the accounting processes in Canada. This role requires strong technical accounting skills, the ability to work in a fast paced environment. If you have outstanding attention to detail and superb judgement this may be the position for you.
The Controller will report to the Chief Financial Officer and will work closely with the priMED Canada management team and with senior finance managers in the other countries. The Controller will manage and supervise the Finance department team. Internally, this position will require strong working relationships with all departments within the organization including Operations, Sales, and Marketing. External relationships will include auditors, bankers, vendors and customers. The nature of this interaction is dependent on the issue/topic at hand.
The following is a list of the high-level activities/deliverables with the goal to maximize operational and financial value to the organization and minimize expenses through process efficiencies:
- Collaborate with other managers to support overall company goals and objectives.
- Prepare Canadian budget to an agreed timeline and collaborate with department managers, senior planners, and analysts to ensure realistic and achievable targets are established.
- Analyze department statements and provide feedback and guidance to department managers.
- Work with Canadian managers to establish schedules, collect, analyze and consolidate financial data designed to mitigate risk, enhance accuracy and ensure results comply with ASPE.
- Gain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Ensure accurate and timely month end and year-end closes.
- Oversee Accounts Receivable invoicing and work with staff to ensure that collection is timely. Provide targets for Days Sales Outstanding and develop related measurement tools.
- Prepare rolling cash flow forecasts and manage Accounts Payable disbursements.
- Review the monthly Bank compliance reports according to deadline.
- Advise team regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Document and develop accounting procedures and features to ensure appropriate internal control, and to aid in training and succession planning.
- Respond to inquiries from Senior Management regarding financial results, ad hoc analysis, etc.
- Mentor Canadian Finance team by coaching and counseling employees on policies and procedures and provide training to new and existing staff as needed.
- Experience with systems and software conversion is an asset.
- Support CFO with special projects and work flow improvements.
- Professional accounting designation (CPA/CMA/CA/CGA) is required.
- Minimum 5 to 7 years accounting experience with substantial supervisory experience.
- Experience with multinational companies is preferred.
- Demonstrated exceptional analytical skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to follow up.
- Advanced computer proficiency in a Windows-based environment, working with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, databases, etc.
- Thorough understanding of payroll (ADP) is an asset.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to identify and apply a wide range of mathematical or statistical concepts.
- Ability to thrive is organizations that constantly evolve and adapt.
- Collaborative mindset of sharing knowledge within a team environment.
- Solid organizational skills and ability to meet tight deadlines in an environment of competing priorities
- Organized problem solver capable of thinking quickly on their feet and excelling in a performance-driven, results-oriented work environment
- Experience of working within a demanding fast-paced environment to very high standards
- An engaging presenter who can deliver presentations
- A skilled time manager who can effectively multi-task, prioritize, and remain composed under pressure
- Demonstrated excellent writing skills including spelling, grammar, proof-reading, and attention to detail.
The Controller position is a permanent full-time position based in Edmonton, Alberta with typical working hours being Monday to Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. Work outside these hours may be required from time to time due to the nature of business. Some travel may be required.
How to Apply
This position is available starting May 2018 with invitation for first stage interviews beginning in March 2018. Interested applicants can submit their cover letter and resume in a single document via the application form.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Note: This job posting is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Hide Job Details
(Fields marked * required)